Things to See and Do Outside
- Puffins return to Sumburgh Head from mid-April until mid-August. This is their breeding season. They nest in burrows towards the top of the cliffs and there are various viewpoints to watch Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Kittiwakes and Fulmars
- There are two wooden viewpoints, providing a view over the perimeter wall to the seabird colonies. These platforms have steps, handrails and are edged with yellow safety paint
- There is also a large area of wooden decking, to the rear of the Engine Room, which provides views to the seabird colonies. This area of decking can be accessed via a gently inclined ramp
- Outdoor seating and picnic tables are available from April to end of September. These are located within the grounds of the lighthouse.
- A ticket is not required to visit the viewing platforms, decking or outdoor seating area