There is lots to do at Sumburgh Head for all the family, we even have acitvities for you to do from home. Now more than ever we need you support. If you enjoy our site and our activites then please support us by reccomending us to your friends - and if you can - by making a donation.
* * * Things To Do At Home * * *
Here you can find the links to download Sumburgh Head activity sheets for kids and families.
Make our beautiful seabird mobile including puffins, guillemots and razorbills.
Learn about our foghorn which is still in full working order
Sumburgh head and WWII
Learn about the incredible role that Sumburgh Head radar station played in saving the British Fleet.
Try your hand at our wordsearch all about birds at Sumburgh Head, we have one using the English bird names and one using the Shetland names for these wonderful birds.
- Download the Wordsearch - Find the Birds (English Edition)
- Download the Wordsearch - Find the Birds (Shetland Dialect Edition)
Trivia Trail - Download before you go
Download our trivia and brass rubbings trail before you visit and complete it when you visit the site.
- Download the Sumburgh Head Brass Rubbing Trail
- Download the Sumburgh Head Trivia Trail
- Download the Sumburgh Head Trivia Trail - ANSWER SHEET
* * * Things To Do when you visit* * *
Walk up the hillto the lighthouse and check out the information boards and the birds as you go. At the top, join us in the visitor centre to find out more about the site, the birds that have been spotted and buy a ticket to tour the site including:
- Pick up your kids activity sheets to help guide them through the site.
- Book a highlights tour.
- Start in the engine room, still in full working order it powers the foghorn which we blast occassionally during the season. Learn more about the lighthouse, lightkeepers and foghorn and press the buttons to sound the display horn and flash the light.
- Visit the Smiddy and learn all about the life of a keeper.
- Explore the Marine Life Centre and marvel at life above and below the waves.
- Visit the Radar Hut and discover the incredible story of Sumburgh Head during WWII.
- Explore the outside areas and information boards to learn about the archaeology, geology, wildlife and more.
- Climb to the top of the foghorn and learn how it works.
- See how many birds you can spot from our viewing platfoms and decks.
- and finally, enjoy amazing coffee, cakes and more in our stunning cafe.
Now more than ever we need you support. If you enjoy our site and our activites then please support us by reccomending us to your friends - and if you can - by making a donation.