Getting Around Inside
Once inside the Lighthouse complex there is flat, level paving 1200mm wide, which leads to the main entrance.
Main Entrance and Ticketing Office
- The main entrance has level access
- The door is 1050mm wide
- The main door is wedged open during opening hours
- Our Ticketing area and Gift Shop are located inside the main entrance
- The counter is 860 mm high
- The area is well and evenly lit by ceiling lights
- Ticket and shop prices are displayed in large print
- We offer a complimentary ticket policy to carers and welcome assistance dogs
- If required, assistance can be given through the use of pens and paper
We have four museum displays located in former lighthouse buildings:
Foghorn Engine Room
- The first display area is the Foghorn Engine Room accessed through our Ticketing area and Gift Shop, via a metal ramp with slight incline (see photo)
- The Engine Room is large and well lit, with three green engines and original mosaic tiled flooring
- The interactives in this room include a simulation foghorn, flashing lighthouse and the sound of the sea. These interactives can be switched off on request
- Exit the Engine Room by the side door, via a step or wheelchair ramp. The ramp measures 840 mm wide
- The Smiddy is next door the Foghorn Engine Room. It is on the same level with flat paving slabs outside and a cobbled surface inside the Smiddy.
- The Smiddy door is 880 mm wide
- The interactives include the sounds from inside a Blacksmith’s workshop. These can be switched off on request
- Exit via the same door and continue across the courtyard to the Marine Life Centre
Marine Life Centre
- The Marine Life Centre is on the same level surface as the Smiddy.
- There is a green outer door and an inner glass door. The glass door has contrast markings.
- The Marine Life Centre is over two floors
- The ground floor has low lighting to contrast the bright display screens. Ground floor lights can be switched on, on request.
- The ground floor interactives includes underwater sounds. These can be switched off on request – this will also switch off the screen lights
- There is a staircase and customer lift to first floor displays.
- Both sides of the stair case have a hand rail.
- The lift door is 900 mm wide.
- The lift is 1140 mm wide and 1410 mm deep.
- The lift says the floor number at each floor and the direction of travel
- The lift buttons have raised numbers and a raised bell for the alarm.
- The lift shows the floor number at each floor.
- To operate the lift, select which floor you wish to travel to and keep this button pressed for the duration of the journey.
- The lighting in the lift is LED spotlight. There is no music in the lift
- The flooring in the lift is PVC non-slip material.
- The first-floor interactives include whale song and seabird calls. These can be switched off on request
- Exit via the first-floor door; there is an inner glass door with contract markings
- The outer door leads onto a gently sloping ramp with handrail
- This takes you to the base of Sumburgh Head Lighthouse, where two interpretive panels with large print detail the construction history of the Lighthouse
- Archways lead around the other side of the Lighthouse to the WWII Radar Hut. The path slopes up towards the Radar Hut entrance
- The Radar Hut is original and part of our Military heritage. It survives with a blast wall and original stepped entrance, which was deliberately narrow (670 mm wide) to protect the people stationed inside.
- The interior has been restored to recreate an event from 1940. Interactives include wartime music, an interview and the sound of sirens. These can be switched off on request.